Monday, December 27, 2010

Effortless Success

For several years I’ve been feeling Spirit’s push to speak and write publicly, and I’ve resisted, as it scares me to death. A CD I listened to suggested Toastmasters as a place to hone my speaking skills, so I scribbled a note to myself to google them.

Two days later I was at Borders Books and overheard a man talking about Toastmasters. He told me the meeting was the next night. A friend had asked me to go out that night, but something had told me not to go, so I had the night free.

I showed up at the meeting and the first person I met was a man with silver hair and wise, penetrating blue eyes. As I told him the serendipitous story of discovering his meeting, he said, “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

That is a phrase my partner Rod and I use all the time. I knew instantly that Spirit had led me to Toastmasters.

A Course in Miracles tells us, “Once you accept His plan as the one function you would fulfill, there will be nothing else the Holy Spirit will not arrange for you without your effort.” (T-20.IV.) I’ve had that on my bathroom mirror for about three years, and have raged at God for not helping me more. “I’m trying to write this book and do what You want, and all I do is hit walls!” I thought my function was to be a writer and speaker, but I was mistaken. Our only function is to forgive the world, to realize that we’re dreaming. Our only function is to accept our true Identity as the one Self. THEN, everything else falls in place.

I had it backward. I started forgiving the belief that there’s a person named Lorri who is separate from God, left alone in this world to fend for herself. I forgave the belief in a book, in a career, and in marketing. Once I became truly committed to the one goal of forgiving everything as an illusion, things started falling in place.

A Course in Miracles says, “I need do nothing.” (T-18.VII.h) When we think we are the doers, then we unconsciously think we’re separate from God. However, when we make every decision with God, things become effortless, serendipitous meetings happen, and life becomes fun.

What are you trying to do on your own? What if you forgive the belief that there’s something you need to do? Can you forgive the belief in effort?

Here’s to an easy life! Love and Light, Lorri Coburn

No comments:

Post a Comment