Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Candies


As I walked into my 93-year-old dad’s assisted living apartment, I noticed what appeared to be a smashed chocolate on the floor. “I hope that’s candy and not what I think it is.” As I cleaned it up (I put gloves on first, just in case) I took a whiff. “Oh, no! It’s the inedible brown stuff. How in the world did that get in the middle of the room?”

In the past I would have muttered a few choice words and gotten upset at how far my dad has declined. I would have complained about how life stinks and how much I hate it.

But applying the principles of A Course in Miracles has allowed me to laugh in the face of “crap,” both literally and figuratively. As I practice the mind training of the Workbook, I receive miracles daily. “(The miracle) looks on devastation and reminds the mind that what it sees is false.” (W-p.II.13.1:3)

I thank God for the Course every day, because the pain of this world has always been too great for me to handle. But when I look upon the world as a dream that I made up, I can hold to the love behind the images, and let go of the ugly and painful illusion.

A helpful mantra is, “I am never upset for the reason I think. I’m upset because I see something that is not there.” (W-5.h; W-6.h) The body of my dad, the form, is not real. Only the love that he represents is real. That’s why his body can slowly decay and he and I can both laugh at it. My dad is in touch with his Higher Self often—as I help him wipe his butt he starts giggling. “This is comical! Now you’re my mom and I’m the kid.” I am so grateful that my dad is a witness to the Holy Spirit’s vision of this world.

The Manual for Teachers tells us, The world will end in laughter, because it is a place of tears. Where there is laughter, who can longer weep?” (M-14.5:5-6)

Is there something you’d rather laugh at than cry about? Give it to the Right Mind, the Holy Spirit, to change your perception. You’ll be glad you did.

Blessings, Lorri Coburn

No comments:

Post a Comment